Tuesday, 2 September 2008

I am blessed

I got mail from VenomFangX, YouTube's best known comment-censoring fundamentalist Christian proselytizer and hero of morons!


"Hey this is VenomFangX," he begins. "Perhaps you have heard of me (I do have over a million hits)."

It's true. His channel has been viewed over a million times, and his most-viewed video "Proof God is Real", has over 400,000 views. Impressive stuff. VenomFangX believes the world is 6000 years old, that the existence of the world proves the existence of the Christian Holy Trinity, and that every word of the Bible (which according to him was largely written by Moses) is literally true.

In any reasonable forum for discussion, his beliefs and the arguments he makes to support them might be considered laughable. Fortunately for him, YouTube allows channel owners to screen and delete comments before they appear - which must explain why not one dissenting opinion ever appears beneath any of his videos. Anyway, he continues:

"I saw a video of yours that really concerned me, and I would like to write a few quick sentences on the matter."

He's talking about my video "Re: Jesus Loves You", which has proved a popular debating ground for people of many opposing beliefs since it was uploaded last year. The video asks why a loving God would have people tortured for eternity, and expresses confusion about the nature of Jesus's relationship to God.

These are the "few quick sentences" that he wishes to share with me:

"Tell me, do you think you are a good person?

Let me ask you, how many murders do I need to commit to be called a murderer? Just one.

Have you ever told a lie? That makes you a liar.
Have you ever stolen anything? That makes you a theif.
Have you ever used God's name as a curse word? That makes you a blasphemer against the God that gave you life.
Have you ever looked at a woman with lust? Jesus said if you look at someone to lust after them, you have commit adultery in your heart.
Have you ever murdered anyone? Jesus said if you are angry with someone, you are guilty of murder in your heart.

So, God sees you as a lying, thieving, blasphemous, adulterer at heart.

So, remember you asked about why does God send people to Hell?
God makes it clear that 'All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God' (Romans 3:23), and 'there is none that doeth good, no, not one.' (Psalm 14:3) and 'but we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags'. (Isaiah 64:6)

Law breakers go to Jail right? You and I have broken God's laws. Now, if God is just and good and perfectly Holy, having never commit any sins, and you stand before Him as a vile and wicked sinner, what should He do with you? If He lets you go, that would make God evil, so would any judge who lets an evil man walk away without justice being served. God must punish all that is evil in order for God to remain good.

So, should God punish or reward you for breaking His laws? The Bible says 'All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God' (Romans 3:23)
God became a man, Jesus Christ, and died on a cross in your place, taking the punishment you deserved upon Himself. If you repent (apologize and forsake your sins), and put your faith in Jesus Christ, your Lord and God, you will be saved. If not, you will face the wrath of God upon your sins.

Confess to God you are a sinner who deserves to justly be sent to Hell, but you believe Jesus died on a cross in your place, taking the punishment you deserved. Then, He was resurrected from the dead to conquer death, and hears your prayers and is able to forgive and save you. Repent from sin, and put your faith in the Saviour today."

It's so much blah, inspired by Ray Comfort (AKA the Banana Evangelist) or Kent Hovind (currently serving time for tax evasion), and doesn't even address the questions raised by my video in that he mentions nothing about love. Though he goes on to say that Jesus isn't his own Dad, but that God is made of three beings - just like the Universe is made of time, matter and space .

The email ends like this:

"I hope that clears that up for you, and now you can delete that video."

So that's me told then.

3 comments:

Tom Sambles said...

He believes every single word of the bible? I remember one passage from my school days that always amused me.

If your brother dies, then you must marry his wife. If you choose not to then you will be stripped of one sandal, and from then on be known as 'the man with one sandal' (something along those lines, I didn't fancy flicking through all those pages of wafer thin paper for an exact quote).

I'm not sure I'd fancy getting my brother's sloppy seconds, but then I suppose I'm safe as I don't wear sandals. Even if I did I doubt the new nickname would catch on.

Jeremiah said...

You could counter him by revealing you're not really an animated grey bloke. It might force him reexamine his other beliefs.

Jack said...

Lucky you, Hope you left a nice reply to him, or make a video :D