Friday, 20 February 2009

Graham needs a new source of income

I don't want Graham Murkett to have to go out to work -- it's important that he spends all his time half-dressed sitting in front of his computer. So a while back I decided that he'd done a deal online with a guy from Nigeria and was now set up for life -- though his millions haven't changed him one bit.

Flight Of The Conchords have just used exactly the same idea (season 2, episode 2). The sums of money are different and they end the episode broke again, but the "Nigerian scam turning out not to be a scam" idea has now officially been done.

And maybe it already had been done in countless other shows; maybe the idea just wasn't that clever in the first place.

But Graham now needs a different reason for not needing to work. I wonder if he might have inadvertently started a pyramid scheme way back before everyone realised they were rubbish...?

12 comments:

LesFleurs said...

Shit, everything's been thought of before.

Rictor said...

But you thought of it first, didn't you?

Mike said...

I thought I did, but who knows?

rewboss said...

Well, the British government has a pretty awful track record when it comes to data (security thereof). I can't help thinking that due to some dreadful mix-up, Graham has been the recipient of a bail-out package intended for some small bank. He's tried to do the decent thing, but nobody takes him seriously.

Mike said...

That's an excellent idea!

I may have to delete your comment before the Conchords see it.

Dean said...

Becoming YouTube's 'partner' must make him pretty happy, and bring in some cash...

Mike said...

Not quite enough to live on, Dean.

LesFleurs said...

That's an excellent idea exept that if somebody tries to give money back nobody refuses.

rewboss said...

Ah, never underestimate British bureaucracy's talent for completely missing the point.

Dear Mr Brown,

Apparently, you sent 50 million pounds to my bank account. I think it was a mistake. Do you want it back?

Graham Murkett.

---

Dear Ms Marple,

The Prime Minister has instructed me to reply to your letter regarding the donation of funds to the Labour Party.

As you are no doubt aware, Her Majesty's government is endeavouring to eliminate all forms of corruption. The Prime Minister thanks you for your concern, but would like to assure you that all allegations of improper conduct are thoroughly investigated.

Yours sincerely,

LesFleurs said...

That is a twist. But is hard for me to believe. I think more possibly that's what would be written in an official letter and money would be taken under the table.

Mike said...

I think that works very well. Can I have that, rewboss?

rewboss said...

By all means, please help yourself.